“Raymond & Ray.”

"Raymond & Ray" (2022, Apple TV+) comedy-drama. Truth is, and quite sadly, there’s nothing much to choose from with regards to (Hollywood) feature films these days. Premise: Raymond drives on a late, rainy night to a remote cabin to inform his half-brother, Ray, that their father, Ben Harris, has died and wished that all his sons attend his funeral. Ray is at first reluctant to go, but due to Raymond losing his license because of a DUI and some persuading, Ray finally agrees to attend. 



       More or less, you know how’d this “I hate dad, he hurt mom, he tortured me” recitation will go. Director Rodrigo Garcia scored with HBO hit “In Treatment” but I haven’t it so! But then that night, I was simply basically surfing names, familiar names that would most likely deliver fine performances, regardless of the movie per se. 

       I must say I am biased about Ethan Hawke, I dig this guy. He is almost always great, although I wasn’t so pleased with his John Brown take in 2020’s historical drama miniseries “The Good Lord Bird.” He over-acted that one; all-throaty theatrics that’d surely silence Al Pacino’s most hysterical yowl. But Mr Hawke is overall good. Ewan McGregor? Although I always mistake him for Jason Bateman, Ewan is okay-good, especially in Mr Nice Guy roles. Ethan is Ray and Ewan is Raymond, so that’s that. 

       As I said, there’s nothing much here other than Mr Hawke and Mr McGregor traipsing through another day-job duty. But special mention to Maribel Verdú as Lucia. I’d expect to see her more. 🎥💻📽

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Mayor of Kingstown." Season 3.

“Tulsa King.” “The Outsider.”

TV Series Notebook: The Mosquito Coast.